Hello! This time i’m finally writing up a recording session I did probably a few months back now, and a little look at some more vehicle audio implementation in UE4.
I worked with a friend of mine, recording his 1.4 Ford Fiesta. I ran with my typical setup, and used the Sound Devices 633 with 3 lavalier mics placed around the car. I rode in the passenger seat, to monitor and capture the audio whilst my friend drove. I used my typical wind projection method, wrapping the mics in foam, and then securing the foam with electrical tape. I picked up some new tape for this session, gorilla tape, which proved to be absolutely ideal for the situation and worked a treat.
As can been seen above, I set two mics in the engine, and one on the exhaust. I put one of the engine mics on the battery, mainly for fear of it getting too hot, as I was assured the battery shouldn’t get too hot during transit. I strapped it in, and it captured a nice view of the right side of the engine. I attached the second to the joint of some kind of liquid canister (I have no idea what exactly) and it got a good take of the belt in action. Lastly, I attached the final mic to the tow point on the back of the car, and it captured *some* of the exhaust. It mostly got wind, as it was in a relatively unprotected space and once we reached speed the wind pretty much drowned out the detail of the exhaust. Mixed into the other two signals though, it does help to provide some depth. Upon listening back to the recorded audio, I noticed too that at one stage there is a kind of pop / backfire esq sound, at about 20 seconds in, which, with a bit of editing, could be usable in my implementation. Below is a rough mixdown of the three mics in action – this is fairly raw, with just some slight panning and clip slicing.
I also decided to take some of the vehicle audio i’ve been recording recently and have another crack at implementing it into Unreal. This time I used FMOD, having previously used the internal UE4 audio tools. I processed my audio in pro tools, beefing up what I had with distortion, saturation and bass enhancement. I cut out about 6/7 loops, including an idle loop, and arranged them in FMOD to move upwards with an RPM parameter that was controlled by the vehicle speed in UE4. The result is cool, and I put in some wheelspin sounds on the breaking input action taken from my first car recording session. I also set up a parameter in FMOD that would change the audio mix of the engine as the player’s camera perspective changed, and I tried to emulate the sound of an engine from inside the car by rolling off some of the high end, and boosting the rumble of the engine a bit more. I think my implementation has improved since this iteration, but I thought it’d be cool to share my progress with it on the blog. Here’s a rough capture from UE4:
That’s all for now, thanks for reading! I’ll be back again very soon with some more cool stuff.